Download Shuttle is a blisteringly fast download accelerator and manager. All downloads made using the app are multi-segmented, i.e., each file is split into many smaller parts that are simultaneously being downloaded. This ensures that the speeds you experience are a lot faster as your bandwidth is maximized.
First Launch and Using the App:
Upon first launching the app, you are presented with a blank screen. Hit the ‘Add’ button with the ’+’ sign, seen on the top left of your app window. This will present you with the following menu:
The menu above has the following functionality:
1) Download URL: Insert the URL for the webpage containing the item you wish to download.
2) Download To: This allows you to specify which directory you wish the app to download the selected URL file to. By default, this is your Mac’s Downloads folder.
3) Filename: You can name/edit the filename for the soon-to-downloaded file here.
4) Total Segments: This lets you segregate the download into multiple segments. Typically, the higher the number of segments, the more your bandwidth is maximized, resulting in a quicker download.
5) Start Immediately and Requires Authentication: Toggle these On/off if you would like your download to begin straight away and whether you want it to require an authentication from your system, respectively.
Click the ‘Add’ button to commence forth with your multi-segmented download.
You will then proceed to the Download Management screen where you can view your active and completed downloads. You have the ability to pause/resume these downloads as you please by click on the small round pause/resume icon to the right of the download progress bar. The active downloads on your screen will appear as follows, where the broken up columns in the progress bar represent each downloaded segment.
Upon completion, you are presented with the size of the file downloaded, the elapsed time it took and the average download speed you witness. You will also notice a pop up notification appear on the top right corner indicating a completed download, as seen below:
You can click the ‘Quicklook’ button to jump right to a selected file on the app’s Download Management screen, hit the ‘Remove’ button to remove the downloaded file from the list seen in the window or hit the ‘Inspector’ button to get a detailed overview of the active/completed download and its multiple segments, as seen below for example:
Hit Cmd + , (command and comma) or go to the Preferences link from the Download Shuttle button on the top left of your Mac’s menubar to enter the app’s Preferences Menu. You will be presented with the following screen there, where you will be able to toggle pop up notifications on/off, edit the notification sound and reset any warning dialogs the app displays.